Majan University College will be holding Oman’s first National Symposium on Academic Integrity on 8th March, 2023. The NSAI 2023 will be organised under the patronage of H.E. Prof. Rahma bint Ibrahim Al Mahrooqi, Minister of Higher Education, Research and Innovation. The event will be supported by Turnitin, a global company dedicated to ensuring the integrity of education and meaningfully improving learning outcomes. The keynote address for the event will be delivered by Dr Thomas Lancaster, Senior Teaching Fellow, Imperial College London and Aaron Yaverski, Regional VP of Turnitin (EMEA). There will be an opportunity to engage with Turnitin experts during the course of the symposium.
The symposium aims to address issues related to academic integrity such as plagiarism, contract cheating and the impact of AI chatbots like ChatGPT and other similar tools. The symposium will attract lecturers, researchers, administrators and students from around the Sultanate. In addition, the event will host a session delivered by a reputed industry professional.
By the end of the symposium, participants are expected to have further developed their awareness of best practices in dealing with integrity issues in academia.
- How to build a culture of Academic Integrity
- New threats to Academic Integrity
- Good practices in promoting Academic Integrity
- Student role in promoting the culture of Academic Integrity
- Critical role of assessments in promoting Academic Integrity
- Moral/Personal values and Academic Integrity
- Innovative strategies for preventing academic misconduct
- Defining Academic Integrity